How to prepare for your in studio family session...
How do I prepare my in studio family session ?
- We will want your baby happy for the entire session, that is how we accomplish those sweet family photos, so having your baby with a full belly, is exactly how we will want to get started. Please DO NOT withhold any feedings from your baby prior to our session, instead we will work closely together in determining a good time based on any feeding schedule if one already established. It is very important your baby gets a full tummy prior to the beginning of the session so we can spend the most time taking pictures during your session.
- Don’t stress about changing your feeding schedule around our session. If its time to feed the baby before you arrive to your session please do so. During the session, we may take a nursing or bottle break, make sure to bring an extra bottle if you are bottle feeding if the baby should get hungry and needs a break.
- For babies older that 2 weeks old, they will most likely be awake the majority of the photoshoot since they are becoming more alert. We are less likely to get the sleep photos but we can still get some great photos of them awake.
- Bring a pacifier if your baby will take one, it may help soothe them if they startle during the session.
- I keep the studio nice and warm during the session to ensure the comfort of the baby (80 degrees), since they are photographed nearly nude! You know that means as adults, we will be very warm! Make sure to bring short sleeves to wear when you are not being photographed, so you are comfortable!
- There is no need for clothing in the baby session. I provide a diaper cover and swaddles to photograph them in. Please dress baby in a button down outfit so that we don't have to pull any clothing over their head that could wake them up. Remember to bring an outfit to leave home in.
As the parent, what am I responsible for during the session?
I will be doing most the work. You did all the work getting the baby here, so it is your time to sit back, watch, and enjoy the process! On occasion, I will need help with propping your little one for certain poses, which may require a little help from either Mom or Dad. At all times, a parent will need to be present at the session with your baby and myself during the photoshoot.
Should we include ourselves in some photos?
Yes, these photos are so special to have. I can work wonders with dark circles from any sleepless nights, and make sure to pose you in a flattering way. If you do want family photos, pick out simple clothes and make sure your hands are manicured as they will be in pictures. I will be happy to take pictures of any siblings with the new baby as well! ( Please note, extended family pictures are not included nor permitted in your session - IE, grandparents, cousins, aunts. etc). If you have young children please bring an adult to watch over them while we take some photos of you parents with your new baby.
If parents are going to be in the pictures, what should we wear?
Wardrobe is key in a photo session, and it should be deemed important to make the best of your investment. That is why we will work closely together in helping you feel confident and prepared by picking out the best outfit. I love long dresses in sessions, and recommend all my clients to wear them. Here is a Pinterest Board for "What To Wear" to give you some ideas. Simple solid colors like creams, greys, pastels, light tones, work great for these light and airy sessions. I ask my clients to stay away from black and bold colors, as they can stand out in a non flattering way in the images. No need to dress up if you don't want to, dress comfortable, t-shirts and khakis pants look great for men, and a maxi dress for women. When in doubt, bring a few options to the studio for us to decide from! I photograph everyone barefoot in my studio sessions (parents included), it achieves that comfortable style of photos that I strive for.
What time will our session take place?
We strive to plan our session when your baby is the happiest, for example; after waking up from a nap. Baby studio sessions are done in the early afternoon hours. If we are needing to work around a nap time, please let me know as we can discuss these options to get your baby at their prime!
When will we get to proof our pictures?
Within 3-4 weeks from your session, your images will be ready on an online gallery for you to order. You will have a sneak preview of your photos within 2 weeks after your session. Feel free to copy and share those web sized images on your social media accounts, I always appreciate being tagged for photo credit :)
Feel free to contact me HERE me for any questions that you may have.