Yes I just referred to myself as a WEDDING PHOTOGRAPHER!! It actually comes out naturally now! People used to ask me what I did and I would mumble out the word photographer ! Now I feel comfortable saying that I am a wedding photographer! I cant believe a whole year has passed from when I first picked up a “fancy” camera! At the end of this year I will have shot 10 weddings and 3 of those were my very own!!! Not too shabby for the first year!
So I dediced to chat about the Perks & Pits of shooting weddings while prego! First let me be real & tell you that there are way more pits to pregnancy than perks! I just have to keep reminding myself the bundle of joy we get at the end of all this discomfort!
So let me share with u a Lil list that I put together :)
- scheduling future weddings & having to turn down some that are too close to your due date saying No makes me sad!
- Finding an outfit that fits your baby bump without looking like ur wearing a moo moo! Gosh I can't forget to mention the importance of comfy shoes -which are never the most stylish!
- Cant bend down too much to get different angles because there is a good chance Ill need help getting back up!
- Constantly hungry & thirsty!
Water= more pee pee breaks than usual!
- Hoping the smells of dinner dont make u naseaus! Ive gotten a Lil better with food fatigue but sometimes I still get woozie!
- your on ur feet for 10 hrs straight so I tend to lean on things more since my Body starts aching earlier! It feels like youve been hit my a truck by the end of the night with numb feet & splitting back pains! It definitely helps that Jack gives me massages when I come home!
- People love pregnant people! Its definitely a conversation starter! People are so nice to you & I love when people are nice to me!
- Ur partners/assistants are super attentive! I couldnt get by without an awesome second shooter!
- people open up doors for u! They treat u like a dainty flower because ur carrying a delicate load!
Yeah & thats pretty much it haha Im yet to notice any beautiful glowing skin that your promised! Ill be sure to let u know if that ever comes lol
Even though there are way more pits than perks to photographing long wedding days while pregnant I cant say no! I just love my job & I wouldnt change it! Most of the pain is distracted by all the excitement going on! People ask me why i shoot weddings?
To be honest when I began photography last year, I definitely thought I was going to fail! I had been hiding behind cakes for years! I thought I wasnt a people person so I dreaded any human contact lol especially cake consultations! I thought photographing children would be my niche. I definitely thought that I could NEVER be a wedding photographer! I was totally intimidated! This is the most important day of peoples lives and I couldnt imagine the responsibility & dealing with the hustle & bustle of weddings! Handling the large wedding parties was one of my biggest fears!
The very thing that I was afraid of is all I want to shoot! I love the hustle & bustle! I love documenting the most important day of someones lives! This is supposed to be the happiest day & I'm so blessed to be able to experience it over & over again! Let your happiness rub off on me! I'm just so grateful to be able to continue shooting while pregnant, I was worried I was gonna be stuck in bed vomiting the whole time! I actually enjoy spending ur special day shooting & dealing with the body aches! The moments that we get to catch are totally worth it! And your reactions after you see your photos mean everything to me!
I'M JANELLE MARINA
Wife, Mama Shark, + Photographer.
Most days, you'll find me in mismatched socks and a top knot, working behind my computer with a smile on my face, listening to Zac Brown Band and R&B
--or, dancing in the kitchen with my 3 littles and hunka husband, seeing who could come up with the coolest dance moves. I'm a wedding photographer, West Elm lover, aspiring advocate for our buddies with special needs, and a Certified Dreamer since 1986. We live in a cozy city in Southern California and are always up for a good adventure. I enjoy telling stories with my camera, grubbing on spicy food, and solving the latest Dateline case.